NEXT DEADLINE: All submissions must be in hand in the Programs and Communications office by Friday, May 10, 2013 at 12 noon. Applications are now being accepted for exhibits for January-June 2014. Applicants will be notified of the results by mid-July 2013.
The Newton Free Library presents monthly exhibits by regional artists in the Gallery and Main Hall of the main library; a state-of-the-art facility which 13,000 people visit weekly. The Library Art Committee meets twice each year to choose exhibits for the following year.
Artists who are interested in exhibiting in the Gallery or Main Hall should submit the following via snail mail or deliver in-hand to the Programs and Communications Department (email submissions will not be considered).
- 12 digital images of recent, work on a CD in 1200 pixels minimum dimension (4" at 300 dpi), jpg format
- A numbered list noting the medium, size (indicate inches or feet) and year produced of each piece; give titles where possible. (Please provide a hard, paper copy, do not put the document on the disc with the images.)
- with artist name and contact information including an email address and phone number. Indicate if you have shown here before and if so specify the date. (Please provide a hard, paper copy, do not put the document on the disc with the images.)
- In addition to the 50 word description, any limitations on your ability to show in a given month (due travel plans or other extraordinary circumstances) should be specified here. If you are accepted the library will determine when your show will take place and in which space. . You may request a specific month or gallery space. , a document giving a brief description of your work. (Please provide a hard, paper copy, do not put the document on the disc with the images.)
- A self-addressed, stamped, letter sized envelope so that we may notify you of the committee’s selections. Include a return address on the envelope.
Information should be sent to:
Newton Free Library
Director of Programs and Communications
330 Homer Street
Newton, MA 02459
Once an artist's work is accepted and a show is scheduled, an opening reception may also be planned. The artist is responsible for all refreshments at the reception and for sending out invitational postcards. Serving of alcoholic beverages at receptions is prohibited.
The Gallery and the Main Hall at the Newton Free Library utilize a special hanging system for art work called Walker Systems. Works must have a wire across the back to accommodate this system.
All publicity is handled by the Programs and Communications Office including a press release, an article in the library newsletter and any signs that are needed for the show. Any promotional materials produced by the artist need to be approved by the Programs and Communications office including invitational postcards.
The Newton Free Library takes no commission for work sold. Price lists are made available to library patrons in the exhibit spaces.
The Newton Free Library does not hold insurance for art work on exhibit and is not responsible for loss or damage of the artist's work. Exhibiting artists will be asked to sign a waiver the day the show is hung.
Do you still have a question? Please call Ellen Meyers in the Programs and Communications Department at 617-796-1410 or email email@example.com.